9/25/04
So recently, I've been getting into the Harry Potter books. I've seen all three movies, but I hadn't read a book until a couple of weeks ago, when I started reading the third one, The Prisoner of Azkaban. I started with this one, because it happened to be the one that Miriam had brought with her (since she and her sisters have read all of them). Anyway, I finished the book, and liked it, but didn't think it was all that great. Enjoyable, but not overwhelmingly so. But we were at Costco last week, and saw all 5 books on sale for $24.99! So we bought the pack, and I started reading. I finished both 1 and 2, and now I'm about a quarter way done with book 4, which is saying something since Rowling decided all of a sudden to write 900 page books. Anyway, it's pretty captivating stuff - it's fun to read, interesting story and exciting plot, lovable characters, and there's definitely room for the imagination. I remember when the Harry Potter thing was getting so big, and I was kind of skeptical because of, well, the magic. I don't know, I remember Dungeons & Dragons, and how it was found connected to Satan worship or something like that back in the mid-80s, and how we tossed out all of our books - just threw it right into the trash can. Anyway, the whole magic thing, I still don't really know where I stand on it. I mean, I think Harry Potter is really about friendship, courage, loyalty, things like that, so I guess it's a little bit easier for me to gloss over. It just kills me how Christmas is such a big deal to them though, decorating the Great Hall, and being excited for all the presents.
So anyway, that's what's been on my reading list these days. It's actually been a nice break, because I had been reading The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. DuBois, which, while really good, is also pretty tough to read, and I can only make it through about 1 chapter a day before my brain starts cramping.
Oh yeah, did I mention I've been thinking about becoming an English teacher recently? Just something that's crossed my mind. We'll see if anything comes out of it.
So Harry Potter - I've enjoyed it, but I guess there are little things that bother me about it since it is so popular out there, and is especially geared towards younger people who might or might not be pretty impressionable. There are several things that tend to happen repeatedly that I don't believe sends the right message. The most notable one is probably that Harry and friends often break rules - not only break them, but have a wanton disregard for them in a lot of cases. Like in the first one, when Harry and Ron finally break Hermione in to start breaking rules, it's something that's almost commendable. While their motives are not usually bad, they're not always pure and noble either, and there isn't often consequences they have to face for their actions. Especially since it seems like Dumbledore is always in the know about certain things. Also, Harry outright lying to Dumbledore in book 2. That wasn't good, but once again, no consequences. Just things like that, it bothers me a little bit. But there definitely are other great aspects about the books and what kind of message they send.
