Monday, November 15, 2004

11/15/04

I don't usually blog from work, but I just missed the opportunity to catch my train home, so I have about an 30 minutes to kill at work, and I can't muster the mental energy to dive back into work stuff, so I'll just write about what's been on my mind.

I love family. Whenever I go to my brother's house, his kids are always so excited to see me. They start yelling, and vying for my attention, I barely have an opportunity to get in a word edgewise to my brother and sister before the kids are dragging me off to play with them. They crack me up too. They're some of the funniest kids I've ever seen. Especially Nathan. He's just at a really funny age, and having an older sister, he just copies everything she does. If she says something really loud, he's likely to repeat what she says, more unintelligibly. Nari's pretty funny too. There was one time, where we were preparing to eat, and Nari wanted to pray. Then she starts off into this song, thanking God for this dog, and then the prayer turned into a story about the dog. All the while she's singing. I was trying desperately to hold in my laughter, so my face was perpindicular to the ground so she wouldn't see and have her feelings hurt. But I snuck a peak, and lo and behold, she just has this serene expression on her face while she continues her song/prayer with her eyes closed. Too much! I had tears rolling out of my eyes by the end. She killed me.

So anyway, as I get older, it hits me that we're all probably going to move on at some point, and the family will get split up. I seriously don't want to think about having to hug them and tell them good bye, and knowing the next time I'll see them, they'll be so much bigger and different. But that's life. We all gotta grow up and do our thing, and most likely, it won't be in the same area. I guess that's why it's important to cherish and take advantage of the time you do have. That's part of the reason, for me, that the last couple of years have been so nice.

Anyway, kids are great. Can't wait to have some of my own, God willing. Not that we're planning to have kids really soon. It's kind of a back and forth thing, so I think we'll just take what the Lord gives us and be happy about that. I hope I never get to the point, though, where I think of a new kid as some kind of burden, especially financially. I know that it is a real concern for a lot of people, but I just hope it never becomes the predominant thing in my mind and trust that God will provide. Like my old pastor, who had 5 kids (now six) replied to someone who, after finding out about his 5 kids, said "Wow, that must cost a lot," or something to that effect: "Well, it takes a lot of love."