Wednesday, June 15, 2005

6/15/05

Random thought:

So the other day, I said that 27 is still part of the "mid-20s" because it rounds down to 25. Danny pointed out, quite correctly, that you don't round down or up to an increment of 5, but to increments of 10.

However, because we typically divide decades up into three segments - early, mid and late - I think it still makes most sense to consider 27 part of the mid-20s. Early: 20-22, Mid: 23-27, Late: 28-29.

Maybe it's more technically correct to divide up the 10 years into 3 year and 122 day increments, but it makes more sense to me to go by feel. Late-20s connotes that the 30 year mark is right around the corner, but as I approach my 27th birthday, I don't feel that way.

Maybe I'm just saying this because I'm turning 27 and don't want to be considered late-20s quite yet.