Paying for things
I just got back from a camping trip. I went down to Big Sur by myself to get away for a few days - to clear my head. Unfortunately, that didn't exactly happen for a variety of reasons, but the trip was pretty fun, I guess. (SN: A number of people, including my wife, seemed to be shocked that I was going on this trip, and were scared for my life. Now, I would never claim to be an super outdoor enthusiast, like the Otts, but I'm a little offended.)
Anyway, I never realized how you have to pay for everything now. Maybe I was just completely ignorant before (which is definitely a possibility), but didn't some of these state parks/wilderness areas use to be free? Or at least beaches? I guess there was always a fee, but I don't know, I was pretty surprised by it. I got to Big Sur at around 2:30ish on Monday, and after setting up camp, decided to head out and check out what there was to do. All of the parks in the area were $8 per day, so that ruled that out, seeing as I only had a bit of the afternoon left. Almost all of the beaches were $5 to park, so I found the one free beach, which ended up being very nice, so it wasn't bad. On Tuesday, I went to Julia Pfeiffer State Park, and paid the $8 fee, since I'd have more time to take advantage of it. I went on a moderate/strenuous hike, that ended up being exactly as it was described. Of course, they put in a nice strenuous part at the beginning to tire you out, so the moderate part didn't feel quite as moderate. But I made it to the top, which was an accomplishment for me, especially since I thought the trail ended about 3/4 of the way, and only on a whim, found out that there was more to go.
It was a pretty tiring hike, at the end of the day, so I headed back for the campsite and spent some good time relaxing and reading (Harry Potter 6, to get ready for book 7s release this weekend!). Then today (Wednesday), I got up, packed all my gear (I should say the Ott's gear) and left the campsite. I thought about what I should do - I didn't really have energy to go for another long hike (with 2 nights not-so-great sleep, and a morning full of crying babies), and I didn't feel like paying $8 to go on some little wussy hike. So then, I thought, "Well, I may as well drive home - and on the way, maybe I can go on the 17-mile-drive by Pebble Beach." As I pulled up, I realized you have to pay $9 to go on the drive. $9! Have you always had to pay for that?!? I thought it was pretty ridiculous, so I just pulled a U-turn and headed back to the freeway. I stopped by Gilroy on the way back to hit up the outlets, but didn't end up making any purchases. So much for my last day.
I also realized that I always wished that Miriam was with me this week. Now, don't get me wrong, I can handle being alone, and I think some solitary time is good for the both of us. But, I found myself wanting to share all of these experiences with her - the hike, the views, the campfire. It also contributed to not shelling out for things like the 17-mile-drive. What's the point of me going by myself? I guess that's what happens when you become an old, married man.
